Sunday, October 14, 2007

Name Dropping

Recently my hubby and I have had a bit of an obsession with playing the "degrees of separation" game. We've been quite amazed at how many famous (and infamous people) we are linked to. It also gives us a false sense of importance but we all need some ego stroking every now and again don't we? So here are some of our most famous connections:

1. The Prophet. We are just 2 degrees away from good ol' President Hinckley. "I" is good friends with the Gonzales family. As you may recall Elder Gonzales was recently called to the presidency of the Seventy so of course he must know the Prophet on a pretty personal level.



2. The Hummer "H2" (not a person but a celebrity none the less). Again "I" knows the guy who designed that beautiful automobile. In fact that "guy" has given a personal recommendation for "I" to be hired at GM. Too bad he has no control over the budget!



3. We are 2 degrees from the King of Pop!. That's right, the gender and racially confused Micheal Jackson himself! My brother in law's best friend (whom I happen to know as well) is (or was, not sure) Micheal's family doctor. Their kids even play together.



4. Well, since we are only 2 degrees from Micheal then we are only 4 degrees from "The King", Elvis Presley. (Are you impressed yet?)



5. Don't break my Achy breaky Heart baby! The "King" of the mullet that is. Billy Ray Cyrus. We are 3 degrees away from him. My aunt lived just down the street from Billy Ray's mama in Flatwoods, KY, Billy Ray's hometown.



6. Maradona! Only the greatest soccer player ever to walk the planet! Two degrees away from him. (man are we on a roll or what?)We know the guy who used to make fine apparel for the "King of Futbol".



7. Tom Cruise, 2 degrees away from him. My cousin was in Top Gun with him. (so...he doesn't really know Tom but it counts anyway right?)



8. Since Tom is on the list then we have to add to the soccer category the best looking player (or at least the richest) David Beckham. Just 3 degrees folks! Ok...well, unless you count "I"'s encounter with Coby Jones who is Beckham's team mate now so that would make it just 2 degrees.



So I could go on and on but you get the picture. How impressed are you with our list? What does your list look like? I dare you to beat Beckham and Elvis!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

My kudos to you! And, I just learned that Hannah Montana is Billy Ray's daughter, so you're close to her too!

Kristi said...

I have like zero connections, even with like five degrees I doubt I have any. Well actually I guess I know you, so I am just one degree further than you are to all those people. . . sweet.

Danielle said...

You're too funny! There is a girl in my ward (Phoenix)who is Elvis' cousin & Robert Redford's niece! She definitely has some family resemblance to Elvis which is cool. I am actually directly related to many kings/queens/princes from the middle ages through my mom's line such as Eleanor of Aquitaine, King John ("Lackland") & Llewelyn Fwar (Llewelyn the great) of Wales, among many others...pretty cool. If you want to read some fantastic books in this time period let me know, one of them is my favorite book ever---"Here Be Dragons" by Sharon Kay Penman...incredible story & I'm related to most of the main characters....cool (I'm only mentioning this since it is 'brag' time:-)