Friday, October 26, 2007

Popularity

Growing up I always wanted to be popular. Who doesn't? I wanted to be in, hip, cool, I wanted hair like Kellie McGillis in Top Gun (That was the must have hair style when I was in 7th grade). I wanted the coolest clothes Benetton, Esprit and of course a pair of Tretorns (if you don't know what those are then you must not have grown up in the 80's). I did get the tretorns and had my signature Benetton bag oh, and of course my GUESS jeans. That was what you had to have to be popular in those days. Of course, having all that name brand stuff got me nowhere in the popularity circles. Sure I had friends but I didn't have "the" friends. Looking back I don't think it would've been possible for me to be popular when I was a choir and drama geek. Maybe in some schools you can be cool and be in choir but it wasn't that way in mine.

As I got older my level of "popularity" didn't matter to me as much. Especially once I got to college. Actually, what I think it was was that I actually had friends, a lot of them, and it didn't matter to anyone really what you wore. Finally there were no more clicks and I had somewhat gotten over my need to feel accepted by "cool" people. I say somewhat because of course I still wanted to be accepted by "cool" guys. Who doesn't want that when they are 19?

When I was dating "I" I don't think I felt a need any longer to be so popular. All I wanted was to be with him so it didn't matter so much how many friends I had. Don't get me wrong, I have always thought of my friends as important, just at that time "I" fulfilled most of my social needs.

So now we come to today. I am again feeling the need to be popular. I have been tracking my blog and I realize that pathetically, no one reads it. OK, like 3 people read it. I am considering going public again. Maybe it would help me feel more popular if even an occasional lurker read my blog. Anyway, if you do read it will you please post a comment so I can feel some love. I need some love people!

p.s. Here's a pic of the infamous Tretorns

7 comments:

G said...

I'm a lurker. I found your blog through Kristi's. I feel dumb and insecure about how few people read my blog too :)

Anonymous said...

i didn't know you had a blog aunt jenny! i found it on your facebook, haha where else?! i told you facebook was addicting!

Laurie said...

Jen, Missy actually just asked me to give her your email so she could read your blog.... so there's another friend!
I like you tons! Even though I don't know what Tretorns are. :)

Ivan Luccion said...

I didn't know those shoes either.

I read your blog daily! Though I've only left a comment or two. Sorry.

Keep writing though!

Love,
Ivan.

Unknown said...

Jenn, I love reading your blog. I think you have a great talent for writing, and was kind of excited that I could read it again. :) I found it through Laurie.
Kara M.

Kristi said...

Hey Jen! You know I read your blog, perhaps not as faithfully as I did before having a new baby, but I love it! Also, thanks for your guidance in my sling wearing, I think I am getting the hang of it now. I had to carry the carseat in somewhere yesterday and I wanted to die! I can't believe i did that all the time with Gwen!

Danielle said...

Um, I didn't know about those shoes...must of been an east coast thang! You're cute Jen, don't change a bit!