Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What would you do?

First of all I have to say HALLELUJAH! A long awaited job offer has finally arrived and we are ecstatic to say the least. It's been a grueling 16 months of emotional turmoil. So many almosts and so much disappointment. Yes, finally, the day has arrived! However, there is one small problem.

Don't get me wrong, the offer we got was good, better than expected, definitely a step up for us but they want to know what our answer is right away. That would be fine and good but "I" is scheduled to fly out to another interview next week. We're not sure what we would prefer as far as job is concerned but as far as location, the yet to be interview place wins out hands down. We also have no idea what kind of offer this other place would give us or if they will give us one period. So what would you do? I know nothing would be set in stone yet but would you say yest to the first offer or wait to see what is behind door number 2? If you say yes and then get a better offer from company #2 and decided to go there instead would it totally burn bridges and be a bad move career wise? Keep in mind that company #1 wants an answer uh....by tomorrow. We really don't know what to do. We don't want to burn bridges in either direction.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Um, I would choose whichever one is the one in Texas. : ) Obviously! Actually we were kind of in a similar situation. We interviewed early with NI and had several other interviews lined up. We had to respond to the offer in early January, we still had a couple interviews and a career fair to go. We ended up accepting the offer and were glad we did because we never wound up getting another offer. Anyway, surely that isn't always the case. Maybe you could ask for an extension from company #1..?

Robyn Cheney said...

They should know better than to make you give your answer that quickly. Companies should be understanding and if they really want you, they will wait until you KNOW what you want.
Financially we are encouraged by the Church to avoid, "make your decision now" schemes. THey encourage us to think and pray and weigh all options.
I know that a career is not a "scheme" but I think that the same rule should apply.
They should be understanding or your wanting time to think about it.
But that is just my opinion...:)

Erin said...

Hey thanks for the comment on my blog. I hope everything is working out for you guys with the decisions you are having to make. I heard you are moving? Where to? When? Is it to work for this company that offered you the job in this post or another one. I hope you guys are doing well. We miss having you guys around. I saw the cute picture of your girls with Lauries girls. They are getting so big!!

hulbert said...

Hi Jen, I hope whatever decision you ended up making you feel good about now. Job hunting can be so stressful. I'm excited to see where you might be headed.

Nicole said...

I just wanted to say congratulations on getting the job. I hope everything turned out for the best. I'm Nicole (levenhagen) by the way. I was looking through pictures and saw the ones of you guys at my sister's graduation party. I googled Ivan and he led me to your blog. I just wanted to say hi.