Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolution # 3

I thought that maybe I might give up blogging. It seems lately that I can't come up with anything to blog about nor does it seem that I have to the time to blog either. However after reevaluating the situation and seeing as I have quite the international audience, I have decided instead to make it a goal to blog at least twice a week this year. We'll see how I do. It may work for a couple of weeks and then wind up in the pooper like all of my resolutions seem to do but at least I will have given it a go.

While we are on the subject of resolutions, another one of mine this year is to be more frugal. By choice not by necessity. I have had to be frugal for the past several years with Ivan in school and me being at home with my babies. It has not always been fun but out of necessity I have been able to come up with a couple of good meals that have now become staples in our family. Making things that everyone will like, OK, that Lili and Sofi will like, is quite the chore sometimes. The other day I stewed most of the day over what I would make for dinner. Mostly because I did not want to go to the store or spend money on food until absolutely necessary. I took inventory of what I had on hand and came up with a great idea. The result was a a great little mexican chicken thing to put in tortillas. I thought it was yummy........my girls did not. Well, actually, they were repulsed by the sight of it. Wouldn't even try it.

Our dinner went something like this: Sofi: "boo hoo hoo. Wa Wa Wa!"
Daddy: "Lili, eat your food. It's really yummy."
Lili: "NO!! I DON'T WANT TO!"
Mommy: "Sniff Sniff." (feeling depressed because no one liked what she worked so hard to make)
This basically went on for 20 minutes or so. We had quite the Super Nanny moment. I was mad and feeling like a failure as a mom. After all, I was doing my best to make something yummy and healthy with what we had and not spend money that we don't.

After the girls were in bed that night I came downstairs and turned on the TV to veg and forget about my sorrows. So what show happens to be having it's season premier? None other than Super Nanny! It took about 10 minutes for me to snap out of my doldrums and realize that I am not the worst mom in the world. No sir, there are plenty that are worse off than I am. I suppose I am doing OK if an occasional unwelcome meal is the worst thing that happens. Needless to say though, the next day I made sure to get a few things at the store and we had a very well received spaghetti dinner last night. So for now I will put my "black bean and chicken mexicana" recipe in the archives and maybe pull it back out when my children are old enough to appreciate such fine cuisine.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Good Job trying to be frugal and make something with whatever you have. We do that all the time and like Lili and Sophie Caleb will not even smell it let alone put it in his mouth. I hope you had a good christmas and I hope you meet your new years resolutions especially the blogging one because I look at your blog at least once a day waiting for someone entertaining to read even if it just about a dinner meal.

Kristi said...

So, I am a firm believer that the more you write in the blog the better your entries and the easier it is to come up with stuff to say. I have been in a rut lately and wanted to quit, you and I will have the same resolution, we will see how it goes!

I hear you on the frugal thing. We had a pretty big disaster the other day-- chicken and dumplings, but the dumplings didn't cook so it was like chicken and bread dough. Gross. I am sure I would have liked your mexican creation!

Jaclyn said...

Jen,

Check Ivans email. I couldn't find yours!

Laurie said...

I'm sure chicken mexicana would impress more cultured tastebuds.... but kids are so picky! Kate hasn't eaten dinner for like 5 nights. I wonder how long you can survive on string cheese....