Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My cry for help!

(Again, read at your own risk! BTW, this is not meant to offend anyone who may be taking Prozac or any other type of anti depressant. It's just me being....a bit sarcastic.)

I've decided that I need to start taking Prozac. I just can't seem to figure any other way to get out of this funk that I'm in. I mean really, I've gone a little loony I think. Does crying yourself to sleep every night fall under the category of being depressed? What about bursting into tears every time I see a Florida or Texas license plate? (Which it seems happens every time I go out. Why are so many Texans living in Provo?) And never mind the fact that I have the desire to sit in front of the TV every night with a carton of ice cream to drown my sorrows in. Not that I eat a carton of ice cream every night...I just have the desire to. So yes folks..I do believe I can be considered depressed or at least a little off my rocker.

Those of you who know me know that I'm kind of anti doctor and anti meds so I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get out of this stupor. Please no "eat healthy and exercise" crap, I already know that. What I'm looking for are .....ideas for things to do to distract me at least. So anyone got any brilliant ideas? Please please please tell me. I'm crying out for help here people! And if I don't get any I may just wind up being committed.

5 comments:

G said...

It's cliche, but finding someone else who needs help has always helps distract me. Go serve somehow. Don't expect the worrying to go away, just try to spend some of it on someone else :)

Also, the short days of winter could be adding to the problem, especially where I'm guessing you live, where the sun takes forever to come up from behind the mountain. Seasonal Affective Disorder, ya know? Try getting more sunlight or even consider a lightbox. Just a thought.

Erin said...

When john was on his mission I started to get depressed and I didn't want to take medications because I thought only crazy people took those. No offense to anyone. I just had a hard time with the idea of it. My mom told me to take an herb called St Johns Wart I think thats what it is called and it is suppose to help. Also I found I just needed alot of distractions. You should start cross stitching. I know that sounds dumb but when john left on his mission and I was all alone I started crossstitching and it became such a stress reliever for me. Its not hard to do you just have to pay attention to what you are doing so it makes it hard to think about everything else going on in your life. I'm serious about this. My mom even when she was having a hard time with my little brother and was constantly stressing out over him and all his dumb problems she started to cross stitch and she always talks about how it saved her. If you want me to teach you how I'll show you its really easy and I have some cute patterns you could borrow.

Jaclyn said...

I don't know what to say to make you feel better I just know that the last two months I have been sick a lot! When I am sick and cannot do the normal day to day tasks my point of view changes. When I got better I suddenly become thankful to be able to do the things I normally don't consider fun like cleaning, cooking, or even changing dirty diapers. I was just thankful to be able to have the strength to get out of bed. I guess I just saw how quickly life can change and how life is fragile and to be happy about the small things in life.

But besides that, I was just talking to my sister about anti-depressant because she had to go on them for a while. I asked her, "How can a drug make you happy all of the sudden" She explained that depression can really be a medical condition where the cells get off balance and the medication helps get back on track.

So, there is nothing wrong with medication if you have a medical condition!

So there my novel....take it or leave it. But I had to respond to my dear friend who is sad. =(

Laurie said...

The thing I always did in college when I got stressed and depressed was destroy things.... like cutting up pictures of the boys I dated. You could do that with a whole map of Texas! Who needs them anyway? I also found that listening to bitter music like the Dixie Chicks was helpful. The trouble with this line of thinking is that you end up angry instead of depressed, and I'm not really sure that is better.
So, for an actually good idea, how about we get together for cards this week? I think that we're healthy enough now. Or, I'm always up for ice cream binges.
Don't forget that you have LOTS of friends out there that care about you and are praying for you. If it's ever too much, just call me. :)

Sierra Brown said...

Jen,
Thanks for being so honest, I have had some of those same feelings and I like what gretchen said, Serve. That was my thought exactly. Its hard to do when you are so down and you don't feel like doing anything, and all you do is serve your family all day but find someone else in need and brighten their day, it will lift you.

Also do something for yourself, like a class at Macyes or some fun class, I will watch the girls. That has helped me a lot.

I just want you to know that it makes me so sad that you are struggling. You are such an amazing person, and amazing mother. I look up to you in so many ways.

Seriously let me watch the girls, I am only gone MWF from 9-11am. The rest of the time we are here, I have lots of fun crafts to do with them and I will only feed them healthy food, and no one is sick here. Please call me and lets set a date.