Monday, December 10, 2007

Luck

So the title of my blog may imply that we are lucky but actually, the opposite is true. If ever there was an unlucky couple it would be us. Especially when it comes to winning things. Sure we have had many an opportunity to win things. Ivan worked for a certain MLM company (which shall remain nameless) for 7 years. Thats 14 chances we had for winning one of the many great prizes given away during either the summer or Christmas parties. That a lot of chances people. DId we ever win? OK, once, but we were so poor and the prize was golf clubs which we would never use so we took them back to Costco to get the money so we could pay our rent. Not exactly what I would call an exciting win. Oh yeah, and I did win a Barbara Streisand CD from the radio but never got it because you had to go to the station to pick it up instead of them sending it to you which again is lame-o.

So fast forward to tonight. Ivan's work Christmas party. The company is small so we knew our chances were good. I mean, they had to be better odds than at Noni (woops). Sure enough all employees were assured a prize. There were plasma TVs, IPods, digital cameras, envelopes with cash and even a couple of scooters (the kind you ride on the road, not the kiddy versions). So the prizes were being handed out...."number 191" "Ahh...that's us" I was totally stoked. Would it be an IPod? Or some much needed Christmas cash?? We were handed our gift. It was wrapped and inside was .......was........was.......a silly little brain teaser game that probably came from the dollar store.

How disappointed could we be? I tried to smile but I wanted to cry instead. Indeed we're still on our unlucky streak. So after being disappointed for a while I have decided that we really didn't need any of that stuff. It's true. Where on earth would we have put a 42" plasma TV anyway? And an IPod? What's the use of one without a computer that works well enough to have ITunes? See, none of it really mattered. It's all just stuff. Stuff that we want usually because someone else has it. That's not what Christmas is about anyway. Right?

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm sorry you guys didn't get anything cool at the party. That is always so frustrating. I hate it when it looks like everyone else around you is getting everything in life and you are getting nothing. I complain to John about this all the time. I don't consider myself an unlucky person but I definitely never win anything. I really can't remember a thing I have ever won, except for my husband :) Anyway, I hope your luck changes and Ivan gets this job with Sea Ray. You need to watch "the secret"! Have you ever heard of it? You need to visualize yourself getting the job at Sea Ray and how you are going to celebrate when he gets the job and what it is going to be like when you move to Florida. You need to like you said "get the vibes" going. Me and John will pray for you guys and get out the vibes. Good luck. If you need company this week call me up I would love to hang out with you and your girls.

Kristi said...

Oh man! Jenn I just love you! You are an amazing person with a great family, who needs an ipod or to pay the mortgage, right? :) We can't wait to come and visit you in Florida!!

Unknown said...

Christmas isn't about stuff - but iPods are awesomely cool - our computer stinks and still runs our iTunes okay. 2,784 songs, 2 movies, 4 television shows, 2 podcasts, 1,200 photographs, and 4 games all in one handy location! When the time comes to get one - go at least 40 to 80GB nothing less.