Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Monday Ladies

I wish I had a picture of my group of ladies here in Grantsville to show all of you but it is nearly impossible to get us all together at the same time. Too many of us have to chase after kids, etc. So my one measly picture will have to do.



This picture is from cheese making day.

Since I moved to Grantsville I have been lucky enough to have a group of ladies to hang with once a week. My sister started a group that meets on Mondays and we have learned everything from gardening and herbs to how to make our own soap and lotion. I have loved being a part of this. Not only do I get to learn more about being a true granola (although I doubt I will ever get there since I refuse to give up wearing a bra!)but I have made some great friends as well. These ladies are wonderful and I love having some women who are a little older and wiser to learn from. Some of the other things we've done:

1.Planned our gardens and ordered seeds together in bulk to split up.

2.Made our own soap, lotion, lip balm, salt scrub, and tried shampoo although that one didn't turn out so great.

3. Made an herbal salve for burns/ diaper rash and other skin irritations.

4. Grafted a whole homeopathic kit.

5.As I mentioned, we made cheese. Now I know why cheese is so expensive. It takes a gallon of milk to make about a pound of cheese plus it takes a lot of time. This is not something I plan on doing by myself unless someday I have my own cow (which is not totally out of the question, I would like my own cow or at least one to share)

6. Some of the ladies got chickens and one even hatched some in an incubator. That was a fun educational experience for my girls and I. I had never seen a chicken hatch before. (I wish I could have gotten chickens, I really want some)

We also have some great things planned like going for a hike in the canyon to identify the herbs that are growing wild up there. We can also suggest things we want to learn or do. The best part is that my kids are usually so entertained. Most of these women home school so their kids are there and the older ones help take care of the younger ones. It is so nice.

I really am so glad that this has been a part of my life. I love being around like minded people who don't think all of my "natural" ways are weird and I like knowing that there are some people out there who are more quirky than I am. (although sometimes I revel in being the "different" one)

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Wow! Making cheese? What's next? Sewing your own underwear? J/K ! I think its great. I do not blame you for not being a true granola - you have to keep the "girls" up!

Peggy said...

Wow! Making homeade cheese? What's next? Making fabric? I am glad that you have not crossed to being a true granola - that is a little much!

AmyLyn said...

So interesting! I'm fascinated by that stuff! Keep writing about it!