Friday, August 3, 2007

Construction

So for the past 10 months we have been living in a construction zone. What a joy it has been. I don't know what has been the most pleasant thing about it. Maybe it was being awakened at 7 every morning to the constant banging of big steel beams into the ground. Or maybe it's been the "beep beep beep" I get to hear all day as those big machines go up and down the street ( Who knew they could do a whole days work in reverse). No, I think the most pleasant thing has been the feeling of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake shaking my house every time one of those big roller machine things stops. Anyway, it has certainly been memorable is all I can say.

Today I saw a "Construction Notice" on my neighbors door. There wasn't one on our door which leads me to believe that somehow the construction workers knew that if I received the notice I might raise hell. The "notice" started with something like "construction is nearing completion". HALLELUJAH! No news could have made my day more. Unfortunately I kept reading. I really should have stopped with the good news. Somewhere about half way down the page I saw 8 pm to 6 am. What was that about? I had to read the whole thing. "We will be paving August 13-15 from 8 pm to 6 am". WHAT???? In the middle of the night. 15 feet from my kids bedroom windows? I can just imagine what it will be like. A stench of asphalt in the air, big lights on all night and of course, the beep beep beep and earthquakes! So, I think the construction workers were right in assuming that I would raise he!! because darn it I'm going to! I haven't quite decided what I will do to raise "you know what" but I will surely think of something. Perhaps I will demand a hotel room at the Marriott for those nights which they think they can disturb my sleep. Maybe I will storm into the construction company's office and demand an explanation! Yeah, I'm sure that will get 'em. Maybe I'll start a petition, yes, a petition sounds like just the thing! Or...maybe I'll just get myself out of here.

It's times like this when I really wish I'd win that Disney Vacation sweepstakes I entered. Not that a Disney Vacation is my ideal but it certainly beats living in a construction zone!

1 comments:

Katie Goulding Sierer said...

Hey Jen!

Yes I remember you from our old ward. It is nice to hear from you! You asked about my other blog...I am assuming you mean the Natural Childbirth one? I did it for an assignment for nursing school. What is your perspective after actually having kids?