Thursday, August 2, 2007

Vicarious Living


My husband says that I am totally living vicariously through my children. I beg to differ. I look at it as giving them opportunities I didn't get as a child. Liliana has recently showed an increased interest in dancing. She's has always loved to dance ,well, ever since she was physically able to anyway. As soon as she was able to pull herself up she figured out how to turn on the stereo and would then ensue to baby dance. She would bounce up and down and I must admit she had extraordinary capabilities! As of late she has really begun dancing around the house and saying "look mommy, I'm dancing like a ballerina". I just happened to make mention to her that perhaps she could go to ballet class on of these days. That's when it began. Lili would walk around the house talking about going to ballet class. So what's a mom to do? I looked into her taking some classes. Grandpa had generously sent her some money for her birthday and I thought, how much could it be, she's 3?
Well, our first thing was to look for some ballet slippers, if nothing else she would feel like a ballerina and could dance around the house in them. So after a little shopping and 40 dollars later (we wound up with a dance outfit too) I decided that now I have to put Lili in dance. The countdown began, lucky for me the first time is a trial and it's free because I would have really been put in the poor house this week with how much it costs. ( I had checked it out and knew what the price is per month but no where on the website did they mention the registration fee. Blah!) For 4 days Lili could talk of nothing else but going to ballet class. Thank goodness Tuesday finally came. Now I have to say, there are cute kids and there are cute kids. Not that I'm biased or anything but...my Lili is definitely a cute kid. She was trying so hard and doing her little plies and jumps. I just could not have been more overwhelmed with a sense of pride for my sweet baby. I've never seen a cuter ballerina! Even the other moms were laughing and commenting on how incredibly cute she was.

So I wouldn't say that I'm living vicariously. Definitely not! I just love to see my kids have fun. All I can hope for in my role as a mother, other than that my kids turn out perfect, is that they have the chance to find what they love and pursue it. If I were living vicariously I would be sending Lili to Italy to study opera! (Who knows, maybe that might happen in 15 years or so.=) )

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I totally intend to live vicariously through Gwen. She will be a dolphin trainer, dangit! I am sure she would love a dance class too. You should talk Laurie into teaching one-- she used to be a dancer you know! Even Ballet!

Jen and Beth said...

I will definitely ask Laurie about that! I'm sure she would be much more affordable! Good luck on Gwen becoming a dolphin trainer!

Laurie said...

That is so cute!! Anna would totally get a kick out of a dance class, and she'd love the ballerina outfit. I love Lili! So does Anna!