Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stargazing

I thought about titling this blog "Construction (The Final Chapter)" but I thought that I might like to focus on the positive aspects of my sleepless nights. Sunday night I was again awakened at 2 am by the monster machines in front of my house. Instead of getting riled up and pacing around the house like a mad woman I decided to take my neighbor's advice to go watch the meteor shower. So I got dressed and headed out the door to make my way up the canyon at 2:45 in the morning. It felt pretty good actually to be out so late all by myself. It was vaguely reminiscent of my single days and staying out until all hours of the night. However back then I think there was probably more fun associated with being out so late and I could also sleep in as late as I wanted.

I thought I might find my neighbor somewhere but instead I decided to pull over at what seemed like the perfect spot for stargazing. It was quite beautiful I must say only I think it might have been better had I not been too scared to get out of the car. I have longed for peace and quiet so much in my world and the one time I am in absolute silence I am freaked out of my mind. I had to constantly check to make sure my doors were locked and frequently looked at the mirrors to make sure no mad man was sneaking up on me. I was parked in gravel so I kept thinking "I should be able to hear someone sneaking up shouldn't I?". So after fifteen minutes or so of psyching myself out I finally relaxed enough to at least stare out my window long enough to actually see some meteors. Again, I think I may have seen more had my line of vision not been limited to a 2 foot opening. Oh well, it was cool anyway. I even saw a meteor that looked like a big ball of fire shooting across the sky. Very cool indeed. I actually hated to leave but after an hour of staring up out of my window I had a huge crick in my neck and decided I could no longer bear the pain.

The best part of all of this was that when I got home the construction was done. Finished. OVER WITH! YAY! I couldn't have been happier. Well, I might have been happier if I had actually gotten a good nights sleep but at least I can thank the construction workers for allowing me the opportunity to see something I would not have otherwise. So hooray for big noisy machines that vibrate my house and make it impossible to sleep! NOT!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow. Now I'm jealous of you! I would love to see a meteor shower, but it would take something crazy like what you went through to get me out of bed at that time. How did we ever do it when we were single?

Kristi said...

Way to go Jen! I am so jealous of you all who live so close to the mountains. We tried to watch them (and saw two really good ones), but it just isn't the same watching from the burbs as it is from up in the mountains. Sorry you had to lose sleep for it, but I bet it was worth it. . . right?

I can also relate to being too afraid to get out of the car, we have some funny meteor shower stories, I'll have to do a post about it.